TDI Technologies, Inc. (TDI) is seeking candidates for a Control Systems Waterfront Engineer position to support Control Systems In-Service Engineering at the waterfront in San Diego. This position will support surface ship control systems for the US Navy, with a focus on large amphibious vessels. This position will require working alongside other TDI employees, US Navy engineers, other contractors, and Navy Ship’s Force in order to support machinery and ship control system life cycle sustainment. Tasking will include correspondence with engineering teams based in Philadelphia, other waterfront locations, and responding to issues as they emerge during testing, planning, or troubleshooting. Responsibility will include utilizing documentation and collaboration with teams to gain an understanding of control software and hardware for embedded systems, networks, and wiring. This position will require troubleshooting existing systems, proposing improvements to test processes and methods, and providing insights on system procedures, documentation, and schematics. This position will require gaining an understanding of Navy organizations and life cycle support strategies for control systems before, during, and after maintenance availability periods. This position will support fielded Machinery Control Systems on Naval surface vessels and will require working with software and hardware teams to distinguish root cause of failures, systems engineers to identify requirements and solutions. The candidate must be comfortable working with electrical, computer, and mechanical systems.
- Coordinate waterfront effort for on-ship inspection, installation, validation and verification (V&V) of machinery control system consoles, terminal boxes, interfaces, and other hardware for surface combatant vessels
- Prepare for maintenance availability periods, tech refresh and system upgrades
- Coordinate planning for on-ship execution of test procedures
- Support recording of test results and resolution of issues encountered
- Oversee live operations of rotating machinery as part of test operations
- Troubleshoot control systems, utilizing documentation, electrical and computer tools, and schematics
Education and Experience Requirements:
- 2-4 years of experience as an engineer or electrical technician, tracing signals, diagnosing electrical failures
- 1 or more years of experience testing software
- Experience in US Navy or maritime systems is preferred
- Training or coursework in an engineering discipline is preferred
- Successful applicants must either have an active government security clearance or the ability to receive approval upon position acceptance.
- Must have a valid US passport or the ability to obtain one upon position acceptance.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic electrical troubleshooting skills, including the ability to use an electrical multimeter and oscilloscope
- Knowledge of basic electrical principles to include understanding current, voltage, power, resistance, continuity, and grounding
- Familiarity with software systems, basic understanding of operating systems, applications, computer networks in order to troubleshoot
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematics
- Problem solving abilities
- Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office applications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Shipboard or industrial experience with machinery control system installation, operational testing, troubleshooting, and repair is preferred
- Experience troubleshooting machinery control systems is preferred
- Ability to use electrical and software based analysis tools including network traffic analyzers (such as Wireshark, HyperTerminal, Putty, or similar) is preferred
- Familiarity with VME bus and analyzers is preferred
This position will require local travel to shipyards and piers in the San Diego area. Other travel outside the region may be up to 10%.
San Diego, CA
Equal Opportunity Policy:
TDI Technologies, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layout, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To be considered for a position at TDI Technologies, Inc., please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org